Dietary and sports supplements are intended to supplement the diet.
They’re products that may include vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes, herbs, or botanicals (plants). These products are generally available over the counter without a prescription. If you don’t eat a nutritious variety of foods, some supplements might help you get adequate amounts of essential nutrients. However, supplements can’t take the place of the variety of foods that are important to a healthy diet.
Dietary supplements come in a variety of forms: tablets, capsules, and powders, as well as drinks and energy bars.
Protein powders used to only come in whey but now there are a variety of powder types such as whey various and plant based protein. A lot of the proteins tend to now have the lactose removed which is a better option. Plant based protein powders come in forms of pea, hemp and another option being cricket (yes as in the insect..)
After a workout our bodies need protein for recovery and repair, if not our bodies then break down muscle tissue. If we lived in a perfect world where after a workout we could then sit down to a protein meal then that would be great. However, a lot of us go to work.. or don’t have the time, this is when protein shakes are a great alternative.
BCAA’s (branch chain amino acids):
High ratio of leucine (2:11, 4, 8:11) Leucine helps stimulate muscle protein synthesis. It is known to help bodies recovery especially whilst you’re training hard during the programme.
Recommended dietary supplements:
- L- Glutamine: Stops muscle wasting and repairs the gut lining.
- L- Carnitine: Help pull fat from the fat stores. Helps mobilise fat for fuel.
- Digestive enzymes: Help heal leaky gut, improve symptoms of acid reflux, enhance nutrition absorption.
- Apple cider vinegar: (dilute in water to help taste) Known to kill harmful bacteria, lowers cholesterol, lowers blood sugar and fights diabetes.
- Probiotics – Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are good for your health, especially your digestive system, they help keep your gut healthy